Registered Care Advisors

Your family doctor or general practitioner must consider whether you should be referred to a Registered Care Advisor if:

  1. Your doctor is unable to make a clear diagnosis;
  2. You are not recovering from the injury as expected by your doctor; and/or
  3. There are factors complicating your recovery from the injuries suffered in the accident.

The Minor Injury Regulation requires that your doctor consider referring you to a Registered Care Advisor within the first 90 days after the date of a motor vehicle injury if you fall into any of the circumstances listed above.

If you fall within one or more of the categories listed above, and you are approaching the 90 day time period after you were injured in a motor vehicle accident, you should contact your doctor and ask them to consider referring you to a Registered Care Advisor.

If a Registered Care Advisor accepts the referral, they must assess your injuries within 15 days after the date of the referral, and make a written report that provides advice to your doctor within 10 days after assessing your injury.

Notably, section 101 of the Insurance (Vehicle) Act provides that you must seek a diagnosis for any injury suffered in a motor vehicle accident as well as comply with treatment in accordance with the ‘diagnostic and treatment protocols’ prescribed by your doctors. If you fail to seek a diagnosis or comply with treatment, and the injury results in a serious impairment or permanent serious disfigurement, the Civil Resolution Tribunal will deem the injury a ‘minor injury’, which may reduce the amount of damages to which you are entitled.

If you have questions about Registered Care Advisors or Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols, you should contact a lawyer to assist you with your claim. You can find a list of lawyers familiar with the Civil Resolution Tribunal and motor vehicle injury claims in our Lawyer Directory.

The Claim Navigator is a 100% independent free resource developed by British Columbia lawyers.

This page was not prepared, written or approved by the Civil Resolution Tribunal.
The information on this page is for reference only. It is NOT legal advice.
We urge readers to obtain independent legal advice.
See our Lawyer Directory for a list of lawyers familiar with litigation involving the Civil Resolution Tribunal.